Today I learned....




Today I worked on using fill flash in the bright sunshine. Usually if you are shooting in the bright sunshine, they tell you to put the sun at the subjects back and meter for the subject. Using that method you have a nice back lit halo around the subject, no harsh shadows on the face, but the sky is completely blown (white without detail). If you use a flash, you meter for the sky to get that beautiful and then the flash compensates on your subject. My flash technique still needs some work, I need to figure out the settings for the flash and the best distance from the subject, but look at the difference. Isn't that cool! I am such a nerd. Now... the new hip thing is the pocket wizard. It is a transmitter so that I could have my flash off my camera and still get it to fire. That would give me more natural looking light.

1 comments:

  Angela O.

May 9, 2009 at 6:34 AM

How did I miss these photos? I love the clouds in the first photo.